Is your home insurance void if you leave town for an

extended period of time?

November 28, 2018

water damage in home

By Mike Tangorra

Your home may be considered “vacant” or “unoccupied” if it is left empty for 60 or more days.

Home insurance companies have various rules about how long a house can be unoccupied before the insurance is canceled or an endorsement is required. That’s because whenever a residence is empty, the property is at a higher risk for damage. For example, if the plumbing backs up or the roof springs a leak, extensive damage can occur because no one is on the premises to shut off the water or call an emergency repair service.

Contact your insurance agent before leaving town for a lengthy period to make sure you have the unoccupied home insurance coverage you need.